Legendary Yes keyboardist Rick Wakeman has announced a 24-date solo road trek, dubbed “The Even Grumpier Old Rock Star Tour!”Wakeman kicks things off on October 14th at Derry, New Hampshire’s Tupelo Music Hall, with the jaunt wrapping on November 19th in Clearwater, Florida at the Nancy and David Bilheimer Capitol Theatre.
According to the official announcement:
Having made his name creating prog rock extravaganzas, in his solo shows Wakeman returns to his roots with a program packed with virtuosic piano performances and hilarious anecdotes, inspired by his 50-plus-year career.
Repertoire will range from his solo works and his stints in the band Yes through to his early days as a session musician playing keyboards on such classics as David Bowie’s Life On Mars, plus surprises like his unique interpretations of Beatles’ hits and many more memorable tunes, adapted for the grand piano.
JUST ANNOUNCED: Rick Wakeman North American tour dates (subject to change):
October 14 – Derry, NH – Tupelo Music Hall
October 15 – Northampton, MA – Academy of Music
October 16 – New London, CT – Garde Arts Center
October 19 – Full River, MA – Garde Arts Center
October 22 – Huntingdon, NY – The Paramount
October 23 – New York, NY – Concert Hall at the New York Society for Ethical Culture,
October 24 – Alexandria, VA – The Birchmere
October 26 – Buffalo, NY – Asbury Hall,
October 27 – Wellmont Theatre – Montclair, NJ
October 28 – Red Bank, NJ, The Vogel – Count Basie Center for the Arts
October 29 – Collingswood, NJ – Scottish Rite Auditorium
October 30 – Ridgefield, CT – Ridgefield Playhouse
November 1 – Kent, OH – The Kent Stage
November 3 – St. Louis, MO – The Sheldon
November 4 – Chicago, IL – Copernicus Center Theater
November 5 – Minneapolis, MN – Pantages Theatre
November 9 – Phoenix, AZ – Celebrity Theatre
November 11 – San Francisco, CA – Palace of Fine Arts Theatre
November 12 – Los Angeles, CA – The Theatre at Ace Hotel
November 13 – El Cajon, CA – Magnolia
November 15 – Seattle, WA – Neptune Theatre
November 17 – Atlanta, GA – Variety Playhouse
November 18 – Fort Lauderdale, FL – Amaturo Theater at Broward Center for the Performing Arts
November 19 – Clearwater, FL – Nancy and David Bilheimer Capitol Theatre
SOURCE: Press release
DID YOU KNOW???
- Rick Wakeman served in five distinct stands in Yes: 1971-1974, 1976-1980, 1990-1992, 1995-1996, and 2002-2004.
- Rick Wakeman and legendary Beatles and Pink Floyd engineer Alan Parsons, also of the Alan Parsons Project, have been awarded the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) at the annual Queen’s Birthday Honors.
- The Queen’s Honors are handed out twice a year, in June and at the New Year, and are awarded to people for all types of service, including the performing arts.
- Out now is Yes‘ 50th Anniversary Live At The Apollo on DVD, Blu-Ray, double CD and triple-LP. The show, featuring Jon Anderson, Trevor Rabin and Rick Wakeman was captured in early-2017 at Manchester, England’s Manchester Apollo Theatre.
- Highlights on the set include such Yes standards as “Roundabout,” “Owner Of A Lonely Heart,” “And You And I,” “Hold On,” “Heart Of The Sunrise,” “Rhythm Of Love,” “I’ve Seen All Good People,” and “Awaken,” among others.
CHECK IT OUT: Rick Wakeman with ARW on March 27th, 2017 performing “Awaken” live in Brussels: