The Who‘s 2007 documentary, Amazing Journey: The Story Of The Who, is now available for streaming via Amazon Prime’s streaming video channel, Coda Collection. The film features archival interviews with late-Who co-founders Keith Moon and John Entwistle, along with recent, exclusive interviews with Pete Townshend, Roger Daltrey, and former-Who drummer Kenney Jones.
In a statement announcing the doc’s streaming premiere, Roger Daltrey said:
It’s not easy to capture in film the power and energy of any rock band, especially the four characters that made up the Who, the brilliance of Pete Townshend’s music, and the magic that happened between Pete, John, Keith and myself. But Who fans tell me Amazing Journey does just that.
From the moment that Keith joined us in the Railway Hotel back in 1964, it was like a bottle of champagne being uncorked. We just clicked. And here we are, all these years later — we’ve lost our dear bandmates Keith and John, and Pete and I continue to play together and carry this story forward. Thanks to Coda for putting this show up, and enjoy this film about our journey. I’m still living it!
The clips in the film feature both rare and unseen footage of the band, including their first professionally filmed show, on August 11th, 1964 in Wealdstone, England at the Railway Hotel, and the never-before scene footage of the Who’s second-to-last show with Keith Moon on December 15th, 1977 at London’s Kilburn Gaumont State, performing the then-unreleased “Who Are You.”
Among the others featured in the documentary are, Daltrey’s wife Heather, Entwistle’s first wife Allison, Moon’s mother Kit Moon and his sister Leslie Fox, the Who’s late original co-manager Chris Stamp, producers Shel Talmy and Glyn Johns, longtime sound man Bobby Pridden, and the Who’s manager for over 45 years, Bill Curbishley.
Also appearing in the film are longtime fans Sting, Eddie Vedder, the Sex Pistols‘ Steve Jones, the Edge, and Oasis’ Noel Gallagher.
- Out now is the “Super-Deluxe Edition” of The Who Sell Out in a massive box set, with a total of 112 tracks over five discs.
- The collection includes never-before-heard outtakes and Pete Townshend demos — along with a heaping dose of replica memorabilia from the era
The tracklisting and contents to the “Super-Deluxe Edition” of The Who Sell Out is:
- Disc 1 – original mono mix, mono A’s & B’s and unreleased mono mixes
- Disc 2 – original stereo mix and stereo bonus tracks
- Disc 3 – Studio out-takes, ‘fly-on-the-wall’ versions of early takes of songs from the album sessions, ‘studio chat’ etc. – previously unreleased
- Disc 4 – ‘The Road To Tommy’ will contain stereo mixes of the studio tracks recorded in 1968 – some previously unreleased – plus 1968 A’s and B’s mono mixes (all tracks remixed from original 4 and 8-track session tapes in The Who vault)
- Disc 5 – 14 of Pete Townshend’s original demos – previously unreleased & exclusive to this set.
CHECK IT OUT: The Who on December 15th, 1977 performing “Who Are You” live in Kilburn, England: