The 36th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place this Saturday (October 30th) at 8 p.m. ET at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio — with a radio simulcast on SiriusXM’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Radio channel 310. The Induction Ceremony will be broadcast on HBO and streamed on HBO Max on November 20th.
The ceremony honors this year’s Inductees: Tina Turner, Carole King, the Go-Go’s, Jay-Z, Foo Fighters, and Todd Rundgren in the Performer category, along with Kraftwerk, Charley Patton and Gil Scott-Heron for Early Influence, LL Cool J, Billy Preston and Randy Rhoads for Musical Excellence, and Clarence Avant for the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
The 2021 Musical Excellence Award will be given to LL Cool J, Billy Preston, and guitarist Randy Rhoads. This year’s Early Influence Award inductees are Kraftwerk, Gil Scott Heron, and Charley Patton.
The initial lineup of 2021 inductors and performers are:
Paul McCartney inducting Foo Fighters
Angela Bassett inducting Tina Turner, with performances by Christina Aguilera, Mickey Guyton, H.E.R., and Bryan Adams
Taylor Swift inducting Carole King, with performances by Taylor Swift and Jennifer Hudson
Drew Barrymore inducting the Go-Go’s
Lionel Richie inducting Clarence Avant for the Ahmet Ertegun Award
Among the artists on the 2021 Rock Hall shortlist that didn’t make the final pick were Devo, Iron Maiden, Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, Fela Kuti, New York Dolls, and Rage Against The Machine.
- To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.
- The 2020 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame featured the Doobie Brothers, T. Rex, Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and the Notorious B.I.G.
- Jon Landau — Bruce Springsteen‘s manager and producer, along with music mogul and Eagles manager Irving Azoff, both received the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
DID YOU KNOW???
- 30 years ago — the 1991 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame consisted of the Byrds, Ike & Tina Turner, John Lee Hooker, Wilson Pickett, Jimmy Reed, LaVern Baker, and the Impressions.
- Nonperformers inducted that year were Dave Bartholomew and Ralph Bass.
- The Early Influence award went to Howlin’ Wolf.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award went to Nesuhi Ertegun.
CHECK IT OUT: Foo Fighters on May 24th, 2014 performing “Everlong” live in Norwich, England:
CHECK IT OUT: Tina Turner in 1985 performing “What’s Love Got To Do With It”:
CHECK IT OUT: The Go-Go’s live in 1981 performing “We Got The Beat”:
CHECK IT OUT: Todd Rundgren in 1974 performing “Couldn’t I Just Tell You” live on The Midnight Special: