Out today (September 10th) is the multi-media box set edition of Metallica’s self-titled 1991 set, better known to fans as the “Black Album.” The massive Metallica “Deluxe Box Set” includes 14 CD’s, six LP’s, and six DVD’s among much more. The band will appear tonight on ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live! Check your local listings for stations and times.
Featuring over 24 hours of content, the new set includes the original “Black Album” remastered on 180-gram vinyl & CD, the “Sad But True” picture disc, a Live At Wembley EP, the Live In Moscow double-LP, two interview CD’s, five CD’s of demos and rough mixes, six live CD’s, and six live and behind the scenes DVD’s.
The set also includes a lyric folder, three lithos, lanyard, tour laminates, three guitar picks, and a 120-page book filled with never-before-seen photos and stories from those who were there. The collection runs just under $240.
For full details on the set, log on to: https://bit.ly/2SiNoJt
Also released today is a companion covers collection, titled, The Metallica Blacklist, which includes a whopping 53 covers by such artists as Weezer, St. Vincent, My Morning Jacket, Cage The Elephant, Darius Rucker, Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit, Juanes, Corey Taylor, along with Miley Cyrus‘ rendition of “Nothing Else Matters,” which also features Elton John, Watt, Yo-Yo Ma, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, and current Metallica bassist Robert Trujillo.
- Metallica‘s “Black Album” was released on August 12th, 1991. The set debuted at Number One on the Billboard 200 albums chart and eventually sold more than 15 million copies in the U.S. and 22 million worldwide.
- It is currently the biggest selling album of the SoundScan era of sales tracking.
- The “Black Album” cost $1 million to record and had to be remixed three times before release.
- Three members of the group — drummer Lars Ulrich, guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Jason Newsted — went through divorces during, and possibly as a result of, its making.
- The disc yielded six hit singles, including “Enter Sandman,” “Sad But True,” “The Unforgiven,” “Don’t Tread On Me,” “Nothing Else Matters” and “Wherever I May Roam.”
CHECK IT OUT: The official trailer for the “Black Album” box set: