Gary Rossington, original and current member of Lynyrd Skynyrd, is recovering from emergency heart surgery and is expected to make a full recovery.
Skynyrd’s Johnny Van Zant made the announcement to a crowd at Minnesota’s Twin Cities Summer Jam, and said that Rossington had to have a “stent put in his heart.”
While he’s recovering, guitarist Damon Johnson is filling in for him on the road.
The 69-year-old is currently at home resting and recovering with his family.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd kicked off a 30-date tour in June.
- Tesla is on board most of the tour.
- Kansas, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts, Blackberry Smoke, Allman Betts Band, and the Marshall Tucker Band are opening some dates as well.
- Frontman Johnny Van Zant recently battled coronavirus.
- Rossington is founding member of Rossington Collins Band, along with former bandmate Allen Collins.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.
- Lynyrd Skynyrd plane was in 1977. Rossington was one of the 20 passengers who survived the crash.
CHECK IT OUT