The votes are in for the 36th annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This year’s “Performer Category” will include Foo Fighters, the Go-Go‘s, Tina Turner, Todd Rundgren, Carole King, and Jay-Z.
The 2021 Musical Excellence Award will be given to LL Cool J, Billy Preston, and guitarist Randy Rhoads. This year’s Early Influence Award inductees are Kraftwerk, Gil Scott Heron, and Charley Patton.
The 36th Annual Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place on Saturday, October 30th at 8 p.m. ET at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse in Cleveland, Ohio — with a radio simulcast on SiriusXM’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Radio channel 310. The Induction Ceremony will be broadcast on HBO and streamed on HBO Max at a later date.
Among the artists on the 2021 Rock Hall shortlist that didn’t make the final pick were Devo, Iron Maiden, Dionne Warwick, Chaka Khan, Mary J. Blige, Kate Bush, Fela Kuti, New York Dolls, and Rage Against The Machine.
Foo Fighters poked fun of the fact that its guitarist, Pat Smear, an L.A. punk legend is entering the Hall, tweeting, “Holy s***! The guitar player from The Germs is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame!!!”
Tina Turner tweeted: “I am absolutely thrilled to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame amongst such amazing artists! Thank you for all your continued love and support over the years! Love, Tina”
Todd Rundgren, who’s gone on record over the years about his disdain for the Rock Hall, said in a statement, quote, “I’m happy for my fans. They’ve wanted this for a long time.”
- To be eligible for nomination, an individual artist or band must have released its first commercial recording at least 25 years prior to the year of nomination.
- The 2020 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame featured the Doobie Brothers, T. Rex, Whitney Houston, Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, and the Notorious B.I.G.
- Jon Landau — Bruce Springsteen‘s manager and producer, along with music mogul and Eagles manager Irving Azoff, both received the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
DID YOU KNOW???
- 30 years ago — the 1991 class of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame consisted of the Byrds, Ike & Tina Turner, John Lee Hooker, Wilson Pickett, Jimmy Reed, LaVern Baker, and the Impressions.
- Nonperformers inducted that year were Dave Bartholomew and Ralph Bass.
- The Early Influence award went to Howlin’ Wolf.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award went to Nesuhi Ertegun.
CHECK IT OUT: Foo Fighters on May 24th, 2014 performing “Everlong” live in Norwich, England:
CHECK IT OUT: Tina Turner in 1985 performing “What’s Love Got To Do With It”:
CHECK IT OUT: The Go-Go’s live in 1981 performing “We Got The Beat”:
CHECK IT OUT: Todd Rundgren in 1974 performing “Couldn’t I Just Tell You” live on The Midnight Special:
CHECK IT OUT: Carole King in 1973 performing “I Feel The Earth Move” live in Montreux:
CHECK IT OUT: Billy Preston’s 1973 chart-topper “Nothing From Nothing”: