The wait is over for Kinks fans today (September 9th) with the band’s massive super deluxe box set featuring 1971’s Muswell Hillbillies and the following year’s Everybody’s In Show-Biz – Everybody’s A Star — along with assorted outtakes and remixes. The set, which spotlights the band’s beloved initial releases for the RCA imprint, is now available as a deluxe box set, along with a double-CD, single-LP, double-LP, and digital versions.
Muswell Hillbillies built upon the success of 1970’s Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround, Part One — and played a key role in influencing the burgeoning pub rock scene in Britain, with Everybody’s In Show-Biz – Everybody’s A Star featuring the group’s instant classic “Celluloid Heroes” — along with a full album recorded live at Manhattan’s Carnegie Hall.
Primary songwriter Ray Davies recalled the period for the Kinks and said in the new package’s press release:
Now with a new record company and a new image, I could bring some of the old wild western spirit into my music. These albums capture the re-emergence of the Kinks as a touring band.
Lead guitarist Dave Davies admitted:
Muswell Hillbillies is one-of my favorite Kinks albums. It’s a bit of a backstory to the Davies family and the characters involved.
The Muswell Hillbillies / Everybody’s In Show-Biz – Everybody’s A Star deluxe box set contains 6 x LP, 4 x CD, AV Blu-ray, 52 page book, printed band photos, Muswell map, badge:
Full box contents:
6 x LP
- Muswell Hillbillies 2014 gatefold deluxe 2LP remastered from newly discovered Ray Davies original master tapes, color vinyl
- Everybody’s In Show-Biz – Everybody’s A Star 2016 gatefold deluxe 3LP, remastered from original master tapes, color vinyl
- Muswell Hillbillies & Everybody’s In Show-Biz 11 new Ray Davies track remixes 1LP, bespoke new artwork, heavyweight black vinyl
4 x CD
- Muswell Hillbillies & Everybody’s In Show-Biz original albums remastered in gatefold wallets, with original artwork
- 11 new Ray Davies track remixes (previously unreleased) in gatefold wallet, bespoke new artwork
- The Kinks 1971 US Tour Travel Montage (contains new Ray Davies track remixes, one of which is a previously unreleased track)
- Previously unseen, digitally restored Ray Davies 1971 home movie, narrated by Ray (15 mins long)
Deluxe Hardback book
- 52 pages on gloss art paper, extensive text with new band interview quotes, rare and unseen photos and memorabilia
The Kinks ‘London Roots’ map
- A2 size on uncoated sepia paper stock, Kinks north London roots map with key historical Kinks related locations, chosen by the band
- 6 x glossy Kinks photos from 1971 / 1972
- Bespoke, metal and enamel, yellow and black, Kinks RCA era logo heavy pin-clasp badge
- Back of box, color 12” paper onsert displaying contents
- Exclusive D2C only 7” single: The Kinks ‘Supersonic Rocket Ship / 20th Century Man’
- 1972 RCA Spanish promo single picture sleeve replicated, black vinyl disc.
CHECK IT OUT: The Kinks’ “Celluloid Heroes” (U.S. Single Version 2022 Edit):