Courtesy of GoPSU athletics
Photos by Jeff Shomo
Matt Traynor led with five goals
UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State men’s lacrosse team opened the 2023 season in style with a rousing 21-11 victory over Lafayette on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With 14:47 left in the first quarter, sophomore Matt Traynor scored the opening goal of the game to put the Nittany Lions ahead 1-0.
- Penn State scored four more unanswered goals in the first quarter coming off the sticks Kevin Winkoff, Matt Traynor (on the man advantage), Mac Costin, and Mark Sickler to give the Nittany Lions a commanding 5-0 lead.
- Lafayette answered with a pair of goals with 3:52 and 3:11 to go in the quarter to narrow the Nittany Lion lead to 5-2.
- Freshman Kyle Aldridge had the last word in the quarter scoring his first collegiate goal with 20 second remaining to put Penn State ahead 6-2 after one.
- The Nittany Lions started the second quarter with two straight goals coming off the sticks of Matt Traynor and Hudson Bohn to give Penn State an 8-2 lead with 14:12 remaining.
- The Leopards added one goal coming with 10:54 remaining in the quarter to make the score 8-3.
- The Nittany Lions added two more goals from Matt Traynor and Kevin Chris Jordan to make the score 10-3 with 7:56 reamining in the quarter.
- Lafayette countered with three unanswered goals to make the score 10-6 with 3:56remaining in the half.
- Penn State closed the half with two goals from Jack Traynor and Michael Faraone to make the score 12-6 after the first half.
- The Nittany Lions allowed just five more goals to the Leopards for the rest of the game while Chris Jordan scored three of the nine goals in half to result in the 21-11 victory.
- Jack Fracyon picked up his first win in net this season tallying 13 saves.
- Aleric Fyock finished the game playing a total of 8:42 to close out the win.
STATS AND NOTES
- Matt Traynor tallied a game-high and career-high five goals.
- Chris Jordan picked up four goals on the day.
- Hudson Bohn won 22 of 30 faceoffs in the victory.
- Head coach Jeff Tambroni picked up his 97th win at Penn State.
- This is the second straight year the Nittany Lions have tallied 20 plus goals against Lafayette.
- The Nittany Lions hit the road on Sunday, Feb. 12 when they travel to face Villanova. Face-off starts at 12 p.m.