A new bootleg sheds new light on the Rolling Stones‘ legendary vault of unreleased recordings. The new 50-track, triple-disc set, titled Fully Finished Studio Outtakes, spans 1966 to 2002, featuring previously unknown songs — as well as a heap of better sounding versions of long-booted material.
Highlights include the original 1973 track of “It’s Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It) featuring David Bowie and Ron Wood, “Tell Her How It Is” — the 1970 Sticky Fingers outtake known only in instrumental form as “Potted Shrimp,” the 1967 psychedelic-funk workout, “She’s Doing Her Thing,” and “Curtis Meets Monkey,” a 1969 cut featuring Ry Cooder on lead guitar.
Outtakes from key Stones albums Exile On Main St. (1972), Goats Head Soup (1973), It’s Only Rock And Roll (1974), Black And Blue (1976), Some Girls (1978), and beyond are represented on the boot — with the band’s 1983 Undercover set represented by no less than 10 tunes.
- Out now as a deluxe set is the Rolling Stones‘ 1973 chart-topper, Goats Head Soup, which has been reissued in multiple configurations.
- Among the highlights on the collection are three previously unissued tracks — including the song, “Scarlet,” featuring guitar by Jimmy Page and bass by Family and Blind Faith‘s, Ric Grech.
- Two other songs, have long been available in bootleg circles for decades — “Criss Cross” and “All The Rage,” which for years had been booted as “You Should Have Seen Her Ass.”
- Alternate and instrumental mixes flesh out the package — along with Brussels Affair, the 15-track live album, which was first made available back in 2012 as a digital-only release. The show, from October 17th, 1973, marked guitarist Mick Taylor‘s second-to-final concert as a member of the Stones.
- The CD and vinyl box sets offer the original ten-track album in 5.1 Surround Sound, Dolby Atmos and Hi-Res mixes, along with the videos for “Dancing With Mr. D,” “Silver Train,” and “Angie” — along with an exclusive 100-page book.
CHECK IT OUT: The full tracklisting to The 2021 Rolling Stones bootleg, Fully Finished Studio Outtakes: