Out today (November 13th) is Keith Richards’ deluxe reissue of his and the X-Pensive Winos’ 1991 concert collection, Live From The Hollywood Palladium, which was recorded on December 15th, 1988. The limited edition box set and digital version includes three bonus tracks new to the set — the Rolling Stones’ Tattoo You favorite, “Little T&A,” Richards’ then-recent “You Don’t Move Me,” and the Lennon & McCartney-written early Stones single, “I Wanna Be Your Man.” “I Wanna Be Your Man,” which John Lennon and Paul McCartney literally finished in front of the Stones in 1963 and offered it up to them as their second single, scored the band its first Top 20 UK hit. Despite all the reports of there being a rivalry — throughout the 1960’s, the Beatles and the Stones were thick as thieves. During a new chat with USA Today, Richards shed light on his ongoing friendship with Paul McCartney: “We obviously didn’t see a lot of each other because we’re all on the road in those days, but I always treasured their friendship very much. Paul still sends me a case of beer every Christmas. It’s Old Stinkhorn — it’s his own brew, I believe.”
He recalled Lennon & McCartney offering them “I Wanna Be Your Man”: “I remember the day very well. For some reason, both bands were at this recording studio at the same time. They were just leaving and we were just arriving. Suddenly, John and Paul came over and said: ‘Hey, guys, we’ve been thinking about you. We’ve got a song for you.’ And so they took us in the back room and knocked it out on the piano. I was always surprised (it happened so easily). Because at the time, we did need a song — we weren’t writing too many ourselves. So it was a beautiful gift from the lads. I’ve always been grateful.”
- The X-Pensive Winos includes drummer Steve Jordan, guitarist Waddy Wachtel, bassist Charley Drayton, and keyboardist Ivan Neville.
- The limited edition box set and digital release of Keith Richards’ Live From The Hollywood Palladium includes three bonus tracks new to the set — the Rolling Stones’ Tattoo You favorite, “Little T&A,” Richards’ then-recent “You Don’t Move Me,” and the Lennon/McCartney-written early Stones single, “I Wanna Be Your Man.”
- The deluxe box and digital version also includes a 40-page book.
- The Live At The Hollywood Palladium tracklist is: “Take It So Hard,” “How I Wish,” “I Could Have Stood You Up,” “Too Rude,” “Make No Mistakes,” “Time Is On My Side,” “Big Enough,” “Whip It Up,” “Locked Away,” “Struggle,” “Happy,” “Connection,” and “Rockawhile”
- Box Set and Digital Only: “I Wanna Be Your Man,” “Little T&A,” and “You Don’t Move Me.”
CHECK IT OUT: Paul & Keith chilling out in 2005 on Parrot Cay in the Turks and Caicos Islands:
CHECK IT OUT: The Stones on February 7th, 1964 — the day The Beatles landed in America — performing Lennon & McCartney’s “I Wanna Be Your Man” on England’s The Arthur Haynes Show:
CHECK IT OUT: Keith Richards & The X-Pensive Winos on December 15th, 1988 performing “I Wanna Be Your Man” from Live At The Hollywood Palladium: